Sunday 9 June 2013

Insect hunting in Cumbria

We had two targets in mind when we set off for Cumbria this morning: Small Blue in Workington and Marsh Fritillaries at Finglandrigg Wood. The Small Blues weren't hard to find with 5 or 6 being seen in the time we were there. A few Dingy Skippers were also present. Next to Finglandrigg where the Marsh Fritillaries were obvious when we found the right field. We also found a female Banded Demoiselle at the entrance to the field. We still had a bit of time left so we headed north to a site to try and see White-faced Darters. It took us a while to find the breeding pools but when we did the Darters were very easy to see. They even landed on me and my Dad a couple of times.


Small Blues

Marsh Fritillaries
Dingy Skipper

Banded Demoiselle






White-faced Darters


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jonny,
    I've just discovered your blog and wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying it. Really well written, lovely photos, and fascinating content. I'm down the coast at Filey / Flamborough and we're wishing we had as much as you this spring...!

    Keep up the good work

    Mark (http://northernrustic.blogspot.co.uk/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment. I've also been reading your blog recently. I'm quite jealous of the Bluethroat you had earlier in the spring.

    Jonny

    ReplyDelete