Sunday 6 July 2014

BLACK-WINGED PRATINCOLE

Yesterday morning I woke up and saw that a pratincole sp. had been found at Hurworth Burn Reservoir in Co. Durham. When the news came that it was a Black-winged I wanted to see it even more, as what had been presumably this bird had made a disappointingly short stop not far from my home. The only problem was that we had arrangements in the morning, so would it stay until the afternoon?

Thankfully it did and after some problems parking, we were soon enjoying some good scope views of the adult BLACK-WINGED PRATINCOLE. It often spent time hunkered down in the grass amongst the Lapwings, when it would be completely invisible, but good views both in flight and on the ground were had.

Back at Druridge this afternoon it wasn't quite as exciting, with 2 Spoonbills in their usual sleepy state from the Budge Screen as were 4 Black-tailed Godwits, and plenty of Dark Green Fritillaries were in the dunes behind.

I also saw a drake Ruddy Duck this afternoon which made me wonder if I'll ever see another...

















BLACK-WINGED PRATINCOLE - a bit too far for my 400mm lens!


Ruddy Duck


Dark Green Fritillary

No comments:

Post a Comment