Friday 28 August 2015

Moonlit Aurora...



A quick look on twitter last night and I saw that the Aurora was putting on a good show and a quick look out of the window did indeed show some green. We decided to go and have a look from Cresswell, and at first it wasn't that impressive, just a green band across the sky. We weren't too surprised about that given the strong moonlight.

 23:55...


By 00:10 it was starting to fade but at 00:16 we started noticing the first green pillars appearing.

00:16...


I had a feeling the Aurora was about to get even better and at 00:19 it did. The green became much brighter and there were pillars of purple stretching high into the sky. The most impressive bit was the fact that you could see the colours and bands of light moving with the naked eye. Despite not being as colourful as last year's show, the fact that it was so easily visible with the naked eye made it just as good, and perhaps if the moon wasn't up it would have been even better...

00:19...


00:21...


00:26...


00:27...


00:28...


00:32...


00:33...


 By the time we left the Aurora was fading quite quickly.

00:40...

 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent work !! I bet you're chuffed with them ?

    Are you on flickr ? You may like this group - https://www.flickr.com/groups/northumberland-night-sky-photography/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, did you see the display? Might give Flickr a try sometime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I sent out an early alert to the people in my little aurora text group, one of them got a nice shot which can be seen here.

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/fellwalker1/20941073945/in/dateposted/

      I usually take a few test shots from here on clear nights then I'll text out to the small group of interested mates if I'm seeing anything happening.

      I didn't head out to photograph it this time because a week or so earlier I was photographing the aurora and I fell off a wall in the dark and threw the 6D at the concrete ! Ouch...... Anyway, the lens is dead and the camera is stuck at the insurance company, so I'm stuffed for now..... 8-(

      Delete